Friday, May 13, 2011

Blog 17: Summarizing and response to “The End of Overeating”


In the article “The End of Overeating” of David A. Kessler which is a commissioner of the Food Drug administration, is talking about how processed food is created to develop addiction of people. And I agree with him because the gigantic amounts of sugar tend to push the body to increase their consumption. And also the artificial and attractive flavors are creating a simulated addiction. Which are harmful for humans encouraging the body to create constant anxiety as drugs does.

Processed food contains gigantic quantity of sugar which tends to increase in human bodies their necessity for consumption and through the time create some addictions that will be harmful for health. Human body tends to be accommodated and react to the way we treat it, making people some of the times victims of addictions. For example the chocolates like “Hershey’s” with their delicious flavor tempts consumer to buy more than one, or at least to buy the biggest one constantly. And few months later the same consumer will be rise their portion or dose, reducing them their health quality and incrementing the necessity for sweet products because chocolates are not enough yet. The most prone to get addictions are children, because of their inclinations for sweet products make their parents to buy different sweet cereals, cookies, milks, juices, and so on, with different flavors just to follow their whims and make them happy without think in the real important thing as their health. The highest amount of sugar creates a reaction on the body which isn’t healthy, such as diabetes, obesity, among others. That’s why Sugar is considered one of the most silent enemies that human body has if people don’t learn how to manipulate.

Continuously we found in the supermarket between consumption products the processed food that nowadays has a big importance in the market, with attractive artificial flavors created to catch the people attention and push them to increment their consumption. And I put myself as example of a simulated addiction that I mentioned above. I really like Sweet Plantains Chips and I feel that I cannot eat just one, and always I bought minimal three packages, and I cannot avoid think of buy one every day when I walk around the grocery, this anxiety is because of their “good taste”. Actually I know that the flavor isn’t real sweet plantains, but the anxiety is bigger than my conscious of artificial. And the same might happen with some people with Doritos, Potato Chips, Oreo Cookies, among others. All of them contain highs amount of sugar, salt and oil camouflaged among known and unpronounceable ingredients which are harmful for human body and will create inappropriate reactions that thought the time will become an illness.

            Something that create an addiction need to be treated, and excluded from our lives. Either drug or food, so why do not start right now that we are getting the chance to know the truth about it, and getting the real fact of how harmful their regular consumption could be? I know this is not easy, but I also know that isn’t impossible, so I will leave you the concern there and I will start with my anxiety from now, too.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment